Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Another Fool


Jumping slightly out of the sequence of YouTube postings for this one, just because it felt like the right song for the day!! I wrote this song while on the road touring with Michael Katon, on a borrowed guitar in someone's basement apartment we were staying at between shows. I like the way the lyrics turned out, and I'm pretty happy with the overall recording! I did this one quickly for my Song-A-Week challenge, so I didn't think too hard about things, which was really helpful. Keys and Percussion are done with loop generation software, and Bass, Guitar and Vocals are all me. I double-tracked the Vocals in parts of the chorus. On the guitar solo I think I was aiming for a Carlos Santana sound, but sort of wound up in Earnie Isley's "Who's That Lady?" territory. Of course the aforementioned are geniuses, and there are so many of my friends who are brilliant guitarists who can play rings around me! But I feel that I can pull out a nice melodic solo now and then, and this one was pleasing to me, and a first take, too, which was nice.

The song itself came from a conversation with a friend of mine who was waxing cynical about the nature of love, saying that it was all just chemical in nature and really just an illusion. I kind of though he was protesting a bit too much, and that there was some back story that might explain his opinion. And, actually, there was. We all get hurt at some time in our lives, we all get our hearts broken, but I still think that love is real, and worth it.  

Lyrics:

ANOTHER FOOL

He says, “Love is a lie of nature, sent here to wreck your mind

A genetic time bomb, it sets you up and then it leaves you blind”

He’s talking like he’s so immune, like he’s already seen it all
But I’m thinking that pretty soon another fool is gonna have to fall

He says, “Yeah, it’s just a fact of science, man, all the proof is strong

It's just a chemical stimulus, and it doesn't last all that long"

He likes to think that he's so in tune that he'll never ever hear the call

But I'm thinking that pretty soon another fool is gonna have to fall 


Gonna have to fall, gonna have to fall

Gonna have to fall, gonna have to fall


You can hide in your own cathedral,

You can lock the doors to your keep

And you can bury yourself in your guitar -

Love it knows your scent and sound

And it's gonna track you down

Doesn't matter who or where you are


In a secret room where he never goes, there's her picture there

There's a secret part of himself, whispers out that it's still not fair

But time's gonna heal his wounds and it's gonna break down his walls

And I'm thinking that pretty soon, another fool is gonna have to fall


 

No comments:

Post a Comment